Few cities provide a a lot of immersive expertise into the past than the walled town of Dubrovnik on the southern coast of Croatia. With its thick medieval walls, huge gates and soaring battlements, city transports visitors back to a time once the fortified town was a major maritime power commanding the third-largest navy within the Mediterranean.
The fantastically preserved town has long been the country’s star traveler destination, and it’s garnering even a lot of attention nowadays as a filming location for the favored HBO series “Game of Thrones.” Fans of history and fantasy alike can enjoyment of all the sights and attractions in city, and therefore the near beaches and islands provide ample opportunities for fun within the sun too. Even a brief visit to Dubrovnik makes it easy to know why town is nicknamed the Pearl of the Adriatic.
Dubrovnik’s Old Harbour
Located eastern section of Dubrovnik, the recent Port is protected by 2 breakwaters: the Porporela, in-built 1873, and therefore the much older Kaše, that was in-built 1485 from huge stones heaped on picket foundations. In Dubrovnik’s seafaring heyday, forts were created round the perimeter of the harbor to protect the city’s ships. Today, the recent Port is each a traveler attraction and a departure purpose for cruises to the beaches on near Lokrum Island. With its scenic views and intrinsic benches, the breakwater Porporela may be a standard place to require a night stroll and watch the sun disappear over the sea.
Banje Beach is that the nearest beach to the Old city, that makes it the foremost convenient beach and therefore the beach with the simplest views of Dubrovnik’s walls. The island of Lokrum also can bee seen. A part of this pebbled beach needs an admission, however there’s conjointly a public half, that is often livelier and additional relaxed. It’s a good thanks to beat the warmth once some sightseeing within the previous city. Activities here include beach volleyball, mini football or water polo. You can also enjoy lying on deck chair and having a drink.
Located close to the Pile Gate at Stradun’s West End, the Franciscan monastery is home to the oldest still-operating pharmacy in Europe. Whereas most of the church’s original construction was destroyed throughout the 1667 earthquake, the architectural style cloister and gardens that greet toursits are abundant a similar as they were 500 years past. An ornately carved portal crafted in 1498 is on show also. Treasures from the monastery’s collection of rare books and art objects are exhibited during a giant Renaissance hall. Herbal lotions and potions made up of centuries-old recipes are offered for purchase from the 14th-century pharmacy.